[About our Guides]
[Prices & Booking]
Coire Dubh Blog postings:
Coire Dubh Integral is the best introduction to winter alpine climbing that the Rockies has to offer! This route has it all, nice ice
climbing, moderate mixed climbing, a southern exposure, and a great alpine setting. Some previous ice & mixed climbing experience is required to be succesfull on this route.
A one hour approach brings us to the base of Goat Mountain. The climb starts with 300 meters of snow and ice up
a cool gully leading deep into the mountain. Above this, the rest of the climb is on rock where we will use ice tools, hands,
and crampons to climb rock corners and cracks for the remaining 200m of the route. The first pitch is the hardest and the
climbing is never too difficult with lots of big ledges between pitches. From the top we begin a descent along the ridgeline
back to the road. Expect this climb to take 7 to 11 hours depending on fitness and snow conditions. This climb is a perfect
start for those looking to climb alpine mixed routes in the Rockies.
Location: Bow Valley. 20 minutes from Canmore, 45 minutes from Calgary.
Grade: WI3, 5.7
Logistics: Canmore, Alberta is the best place to base out of for climbing in the Bow Valley. If coming from Calgary you can choose to meet your guide at the parking area for the climb.
Other Nearby Routes
- Coire Dubious - WI3, M5, 550m - a harder route beside Coire Dubh
- Doors of Perception - WI3, M6, 550m - an even harder route on the Coire Dubh Wall
- Professor Falls - WI4, 280m
- Bear Spirit Crag - WI4 and M6-M9, 15m - a fun mixed crag
- Trophy Wall - WI6, 150m - famous hard climbs.
- Grotto Canyon - WI3-4 and M6-8, 20m+
- and dozens more...
Group gear such as ropes and carabiners will be provided by Canadian Rockies Alpine Guides. The personal
gear listed below is mandatory. Please inform us well in advance if you need to borrow any of these items.
Items that are not available for loan must be rented or purchased. Rental and purchase information can
be found here.
- Small Pack (about 30 litres) - available for loan
- Ice Climbing/Mountaineering Boots
- Crampons - available for loan
- 2 Ice Climbing Axes - available for loan
- Harness - available for loan
- Helmet - available for loan
- Winter Jacket or Goretex/Softshell Jacket
- Winter Pants or Goretex/Softshell Pants
- Long Underwear
- Gloves (2 pairs)
- Toque or Balaclava
- Gaitors (optional but highly recommended)
- Water Bottles (2 litres)
- Lunch with lots of snacks