[About our Guides]
[Prices & Booking]
Guinness Gully Blog postings:
A beautiful multipitch ice climbing adventure above Field, BC. Guinness Gully is one of the famous "Beer Climbs"
which include Carlesbourg Column (WI5) and Pilsner Pillar (WI6) to name a few. This route is one of the best routes
in the Rockies for new climbers who have spent a couple of days learning the basic skills and want to progress to
multipitch climbing. The climb starts with a 30m pitch of WI3+ ice leading to a nice snow ledge belay. Above this a
short but steep section of vertical ice gains the next snow bench. The final pitch is the longest but not quite as steep
as pitch 2. From here we can either walk off to the side and descend, or, if energy allows, we can continue a couple
hundred meters up the gully to a more challenging 60m route known as Guinness Stout (WI4+).
Location: Field, BC. 15 minutes from Lake Louise, 1 hour from Canmore, 45 minutes from Golden.
Logistics: Canmore, Banff, Lake Louise, or Golden all make good places to base out of for climbing
in the Lake Louise area. Up to 2 guest can join a guide for an ascent of Guinness Gully.
Other Nearby Routes
- Masseys - WI4, 140m
- Carlesbourg Column - WI5, 60m
- Louise Falls - WI4+, 110m
- Super Bock - WI5, 180m
- Pilsner Pillar - WI6, 215m
- and literally hundreds more...
Group gear such as ropes and carabiners will be provided by Canadian Rockies Alpine Guides. The personal
gear listed below is mandatory. Please inform us well in advance if you need to borrow any of these items.
Items that are not available for loan must be rented or purchased. Rental and purchase information can
be found here. Please feel free to e-mail or call with any questions about
gear to bring or purchase, we are happy to help you come well prepared.
- Ice Climbing/Mountaineering Boots
- Small Pack (about 30 litres) - available for loan
- Crampons - available for loan
- 2 Ice Climbing Axes - available for loan
- Harness - available for loan
- Helmet - available for loan
- Winter Jacket or Goretex/Softshell Jacket
- Winter Pants or Goretex/Softshell Pants
- Long Underwear
- Gloves (2 pairs)
- Toque or Balaclava
- Gaitors (optional but highly recommended)
- Water Bottles (2 litres)
- Lunch with lots of snacks