[About our Guides]
[Prices & Booking]
Kitty Hawk is the best ice climb in the Nordegg area along the David Thompson Highway. This sweet climb ascends
a vertical canyon through the imposing cliffs of Mt. Elliot. After climbing some short steps and entering the vertical
slot, a full rope length of grade 4 ice is encountered. Above this the crux pitch ascends a steep pillar, often covered
in ice mushrooms, to a ledge. One more easier pitch gets you to the top of the route. Descent is by rappell.
Location: David Thompson Highway near Nordegg. 2.5 hours from Canmore, 30min from Nordegg.
Logistics: The Rampart Creek Hostel or Shunda Creek Hostel make a great places to base out of for
this climb. Kitty Hawk is guided with a 1:1 guide to guest ratio. Two guests may be considered if both are strong
at the grade.
Other Nearby Routes
- Elliot's Left Hand - WI4, 200m
- Nothing but the Breast - WI5, 100m
- End of the Line - WI4+, a long canyon climb with an awesome 2 pitch climb at the end.
Group gear such as ropes and carabiners will be provided by Canadian Rockies Alpine Guides. The personal
gear listed below is mandatory. Please inform us well in advance if you need to borrow any of these items.
Items that are not available for loan must be rented or purchased. Rental and purchase information can
be found here.
- Small Pack (about 30 litres) - available for loan
- Ice Climbing/Mountaineering Boots
- Crampons - available for loan
- 2 Ice Climbing Axes - available for loan
- Harness - available for loan
- Helmet - available for loan
- Winter Jacket or Goretex/Softshell Jacket
- Winter Pants or Goretex/Softshell Pants
- Long Underwear
- Gloves (2 pairs)
- Sunglasses (important!)
- Gaitors (optional but highly recommended)
- Water Bottles (1 or 2 litres)
- Lunch with lots of snacks