The original route up the steep southern walls of Mt. Yamnuska and one of the best adventure climbs anywhere! Pitch after pitch of rock climbing leads up a large corner/chimney system in the middle of the wall. Along the way we climb cracks, slabs, chimneys of various sizes and even squeeze through a tunnel! The scenic walk off the backside rounds out this memorable day. Known as Iya Mnathka (“Flat Faced Mountain”) by the local Stoney Nakoda peoples, this peak has long been an important site to residents of the Canadian Rockies.
Location: Bow Valley. A 10 minute drive from Canmore or 50 minutes from Calgary.
Logistics: Up to 2 guests can join for an ascent of Grillmair’s Chimneys and most other climbs on Mount Yamnuska. April through October is the best time to plan an ascent. Some previous rock climbing experience required.
Other Nearby Routes
- Yamnuska – Windy Slabs – 5.6, 200m
- Yamnuska – Forbidden Corner – 5.8+, 300m
- Yamnuska – Kahl Wall – 5.10a, 300m
- Kidd Goat – Keelhaul Wall – 5.6, 150m
- Nanny Goat – Beautiful Century – 5.10a, 230m
- Ha Ling – NE Face – 5.6, 450m